I've finally found a solution to the vacuum created when my favorite RSS reader got the axe (RIP Google Reader). I loved being able to quickly browse through the headlines of my favorite blogs and news sites. For the past couple of years I've been depending mainly on Twitter our Medium notifications when someone posts something new but unless I'm actively looking I'll miss most things. Recently I discovered that Slack has an integration that allows you to subscribe to an RSS or Atom feed URL and receive updates in a Slack channel.
Try these commands in any of your Slack channels.
/feed help /feed list /feed subscribe https://mostlycopyandpaste.com/feed/atom
I've found that the best approach is to open a direct message channel to myself in Slack and subscribe to the feeds there. You can also subscribe in a public channel so the whole team can view the post notifications. For example create a #security-alerts channel and subscribe to US-CERT and SANS RSS feeds.
Give it a shot and let me know how it goes and if I can improve this information somehow.
Some interesting RSS feeds
- Security Feeds
- CERT - https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts.xml
- Google Security Blog - https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/atom.xml
- Threatpost - https://threatpost.com/feed
- Krebs on Security - https://krebsonsecurity.com/feed/
- Tech Shackers
- To Be Continued! Post your favorite RSS feed in the comments and I'll add it to the list.